Monday, April 25, 2011

Thursday, April 14


Amazinyo (Of Teeth & Men)

Zechariah 4: 6

Not by my might, or by my power and strength; but by your Spirit, oh Lord Almighty

Africa Christian Ministries Medical Outreach includes a dental component for the first time this year. It has been an honor to be obedient, to be of service to and with my neighbors, and participate in the great commission, sharing and showing His love through dentistry.

I treated a gogo (grandmother) today, whom while I was dismissing, wrote me a note that said: “Ngiyabonga, ungikhiphe kahle inkosi, busise besengifile” (Thank you, you pulled my teeth so nicely, God bless you! They almost killed me!). Gogo did not know for the past two days I have been praying for each patient, praying for each tooth on each patient, praying for relief of those I get to serve, praying for a painless injection, praying for no teeth to break as I pull them, praying for there to be no post operative complications, praying for minimal post operative pain or discomfort. Praying for peace.

Praying.

Granted, there have been a few incidents where I (yes, the I word) have been frustrated at my inability to treat everyone that has come into my temporary cubicle. But as one of my teammates reminded me, “We’re here, doing the best we can, with what we have. Thank God.”

Thank you God, for your might, for Your strength. Thank you for these gifts of medicine and dentistry to express Your grace, to glorify You.

p.s. Happy Birthday Dr. Amy! We love you J

1 Peter 4: 10-11

As each one has received a special gift, employ it in serving another, as good stewards of the manifold Grace of God… Whoever serves, let him do so as but the strength which God supplies, so that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom belongs the glory and dominion forever and ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment